The words “detox” and “cleanse” may have you conjuring up an image of a miserable version of yourself two days into a seven-day plan to consume nothing but water, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. I don’t know about you, but this idea makes me cringe.
Fortunately, such extreme measures are not necessary for you to bring your body into balance. Nature has provided us with an abundance of foods that naturally detox and cleanse our systems, helping us achieve balance and sustenance. Double win!
Consider including the below foods in your everyday diet to help maintain balance, or try a diet primarily consisting of these foods for a set period of time (3-5 days) to hit the reset button on your health. It is bound to be much less painful than a more dramatic cleanse.
- Cucumber: on average around 95% water, this veggie helps flush out toxins and alkalize the body while delivering a powerful nutrient punch.
- Garlic: stimulates the liver to encourage production of detoxification enzymes.
- Broccoli: delivers a large dose of vitamins while neutralizing and eliminating toxins.
- Lentils: extremely fiber-rich (1 cup cooked has 62.5% of your RDA!), lentils aids in toxin elimination, lower cholesterol, and balance blood sugar.
- Turnip greens: loaded with antioxidants and sulfur-containing nutrients (Without sulfur, the body cannot properly detoxify substances such as pharmaceuticals, environmental toxins and heavy metals), turnip greens also contain phytonutrients called glucosinolates that help activate and regulate detoxification enzymes.
- Sunflower seeds: these little slivers of sunshine are not only high selenium and Vitamin E, but also assist liver’s detoxing capabilities \and prevent cholesterol build up in the blood and arteries. Be sure to choose organic as their high fat and oil allows them to easily soak up chemicals used in the production process.
- Walnuts: infuse the body with healthy omega-3 oils to assist detoxification.
- Turmeric: stimulates liver function. (Also a great addition to your diet for all-around health).
- Red pepper: when it comes to cleansing, vitamin C is one of the cream of the vitamin crop because it transforms toxins into digestible material. One red pepper contains about 3 times more vitamin C than an orange.
- Citrus fruits: see above.
- Grapefruit: a class of its own, grapefruit lowers cholesterol, prevents kidney stones and aids the digestive system, which set it apart from the other citrus fruits.
- Watercress: keeps free radicals away from cells, energizes cleaning enzymes in the liver and is a natural diuretic.
- Mung beans: used by Ayurvedic doctors for thousands of years, this easily digestible bean absorbs toxic residue from the intestinal walls.
- Artichokes: chock-full of cynarin, which increases bile production and promotes healthy digestion.
- Whole grains: full of nutrients and antioxidants, whole grains are incredibly high in insoluble fiber, keeping you regular, which is especially important while detoxing.
Remember to always hydrate, which further helps dispel impurities. For an extra kick, add green tea which has a special type of antioxidant called catechins (a flavonoid) that increases liver function and helps flush impurities.
Doesn’t this all seem so much more pleasant than lemon and pepper water!?
Wow this is so interesting
I think gifs like these are insanely helpful, I love them
Have you seen this video? Karen X. Cheng taught herself to dance in one year, and filmed herself at various different points in her learning experience. The video quickly went viral, and Cheng shared some advice with us on how to make your videos go viral, too.
"First, I posted to Facebook/Twitter, and submitted it to social news sites like Reddit and Hacker News. I personally asked many of my friends to share it. I tweeted it at well-known dancers. I emailed bloggers who had covered other viral dance videos.
Of all the things I tried, Reddit paid off. It got to the top of the GetMotivated subreddit. I did this by following the advice in this article.”
If it isn’t something we’ve been brainwashed into thinking. Small hips, small thighs, no curves. A 200 billion dollar a year industry that brainwashed us into thinking we’re never going to be good enough.
Try this diet. Try this diet Try this diet. Eat this food, Do this workout.
Is it all a…
5 Minute CRISPY Sweet Potato Chips
I was pretty shocked when I discovered this recipe. It’s UHMAZING.
Total Time: 5 minutes
- Sweet potato
- Salt (or any other seasoning)
- Olive oil spray can
- Use a mandolin and slice up your sweet potato (try to find one that has an even girth throughout the entire length of the potato so you have evenly sized chips)
- Cut parchment paper the size of your glass plate inside the microwave
- Lay the chips in a single layer on the parchment paper
- Lightly spray with non-stick spray and salt them
- Microwave on 100% power for 2 minutes 30 seconds (Please note: This measurement was for MY microwave, so please be aware of your own) You will know they are done when they start to lightly brown, but do not wait till they entirely brown — that would mean it burnt)
- Let the chips cool, and they will turn crispy :)
PROOF OF CRISPY-NESS (didn’t edit the video hehe)